Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The things you learn in children's books

Yesterday I tried with all of my might, but my number one problem is the tone in which I speak to my family when I am stressed.  One of my favorite songs is "Speak Life" by TobyMac, because this is the area I struggle in.  When I am tired, frustrated, or stressed my tone does not hide the fact even though I try really hard.

Throughout the day I kept hearing myself, but I could not break it.  I was praying to God to give me guidance and help me as I struggled through but I just couldn't seem to get it right.  I was however reminded by the Holy Spirit and my husband that I was not being very nice.

By the end of the day I felt done, I just wanted to go to bed.  I was reading Ella Mae her Bible and her  Veggie Tale devotionals and there it was.  God speaks, he seriously has been speaking to me every single day!  It was incredible.  Her devotional was about thinking before we speak, being careful not to say unkind things.  Here is was teaching my daughter about something I had struggled with all day.  I prayed that we would only speak life with our words and for God to help us.  I was humbled as I kissed her goodnight.

Matthew 12:34 (NIV)
For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.

Out of the overflow of the the heart, what was my heart overflowing with yesterday, clearly not love or life.  I was overflowing with stress, worry, frustration, all things that I needed to give to God.  Again I chose to hold them and let them steal my day, my joy, my quiet.  Thank you God for never giving up on us!  Its amazing how many times we can fall into the same trap over and over and still not see it clearly.

When I read the Old Testament I often think of Israel and wonder how they could have continued to stray with all that God was doing for them and then I take a look at my own life.  Just found the plank in my own eye, thank you very much, sorry for mentioning your speck!  Humble, that is the word of the day.  I am humble and thankful that God loves me enough to keep showing me the things I need to change even though it seems to be the same thing over again!

Luke 6:45 (NLT)
A good person produces good deeds from a good heart, an evil person produces evil deeds from and evil heart.  Whatever is in your heart determines what you say.

No comments:

Post a Comment