Friday, January 24, 2014

Surrender

Today was an awesome day from start to finish, not awesome because of any one thing, but because I saw God work all day!

When I went to bed last night I was touched deeply by a verse in my devotional.

I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.  Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. (Psalm 27:13-14 NIV)

I love this verse because it reminds me to live in the now, to not waste my time wallowing in the past or only dreaming of the future but to live in this very moment and wait on the Lord for His purpose and plan over my life.  There is nothing wrong with walking down memory lane, but I tend to get trapped there and of course planning for the future is great as long as you don't miss all that is going on in the present.  It was what I needed to read before I closed my eyes for the night and God knew that.

When I woke I was ready to go out and take my first 3 mile run since Thanksgiving.  I'll admit I have been nervous about this because the injury to my IT band has made running difficult.  I have given it rest, trained, and strengthened it and today was the day for me to put on my LIFE Runners "REMEMBER the Unborn Jer 1:5" gear and run with my faith in God to provide.  It was amazing, as I chose a busy street in my city to run those miles and I was listening to praise and worship talking to God along the way.  He carried me, he guided me, and he protected me.  I was able to run uphill and downhill with virtually no pain, I was also able to increase my pace which was incredible to me since I have not run in 2 months!  I realized that since I have surrendered my running to God and his purpose that He will take me where I need to go.  There may be times that He will ask me to slow down so I can be where I need to be when I need to be there, or to talk to someone along the way, and when it glorifies him for me to run He will carry me!  It was amazing!

I continued that amazing feeling through the day as we headed out.  I am almost always dressed in some form of LIFE Runners apparel and today was no different, what was different was that God was using me today in a big way.  I recruited new LIFE Runners everywhere I went, my Mom's doctors office, the grocery store, the ice rink.  Everywhere I turned someone wanted to know more about LIFE Runners.  God called me to this purpose, He will provide for me to serve Him and I am more than willing!

My morning prayer to God before I started my day was another piece of amazing scripture.

So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.  For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh.  They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.  (Galatians 5:16-17 NIV)

The fact of the matter is that the world tells you to live as you please, to do what you want, and to put your desires ahead of all else.  I spent too much of my life believing this lie.  God calls us to die to our flesh, to turn away from fleshly desires, to pick up our cross and follow Him, and that is exactly what I intend to do for the remainder of my life.  I don't expect that I won't stumble and fall but I know that the Grace of God will lift me up and help me back on the path. I want to be his hands and feet, I want my life to reflect the love of Jesus.  I surrender completely to His will.

for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose. (Philippians 2:13 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment