Wednesday, January 29, 2014

In the world but not of it

There is a fine line between being in the world but not being of it.  It is a line that I am conscience of daily.  I find my struggle with this no longer comes from the desire to be "of the world" as I no longer do, but my struggle comes from the internal heartache I feel as I watch the world around me.  Today I felt it as I was reading about the Grammy's and what society finds entertaining, it left me sick to my stomach.  I felt it as I read a recap on the State of the Union address that left me less than surprised but sad none the less.  I felt it as I perused FaceBook and and news apps and finally enough was enough, I wanted to crawl back in bed and pretend I was anywhere but here, even considered begging my husband to find another overseas job just so I could find distance, not that the rest of the world is in a much better state.  I reached out to my friend, who I believe God put in my life so that we could help each other stay strong in these very spiritual battle zones.  She responded exactly as I needed to hear which I know in my heart was God's provision.

In the darkness that seemed to surround me she reminded me that we are the light in this world.  God calls us to be the light for Him.  He is in control and he never promises it will be easy.  We are the light, and in a time when morality seems to be upside-down its hard to be the light and that is why he calls us to stand tall and firm in Him.

I have given them your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. (John 17:14 NKJV)

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:9 NKJV)

As I sit here typing I won't say that they weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders, some stronghold areas have been revealed, places where the devil is trying to discourage me have been brought to light and I am renewed in desire to push forward.  I know that living in this day and age I will find myself on the "wrong side of the worlds beliefs" most all of the time, but that is OK.  As long as I am on the right side of God I will not let the world change my mind.  I know what is right and I also know that I live in a world where God has been rejected more than embraced and I want to see that change, I want the lost to find their way into His arms.  I want the world to run to God because I know that there is amazing peace in the truth.  He can set us free from any bondage and forgives all sin.  I am far from perfect, in fact I have stated many times that there are very few sins that I have not engaged in to some degree.  I fall short daily and only by the grace of God and the shed blood of Jesus am I forgiven.  There is nothing I can do to make myself right in the eyes of God, Jesus paid the price and all I am required to do is accept this gift.

Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance:  Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners-of whom I am the worst.  But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. (1Timothy 1:15-16 NIV)

My life belongs to him and he has called me to serve him completely.  I will continue to speak the truth, I will continue to pray for the lost and broken.  I will continue to fight for the unborn so that the their lives as well as their parents lives will be spared from the pain and scars of death.  I will speak up for the least of these, I will do what I have been called to do because my days are numbered and I spent 30 years of them serving myself, I intend to spend the rest of them serving God in every area he calls me to serve.

"You are the light of the world.  A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.  Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lamp stand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.  Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify you Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:14-16 NKJV)


No comments:

Post a Comment