Friday, July 25, 2014

Burning Cane Fields

I can't say enough about the amazing power of trial in life moulding me into the woman God desires me to be.  I have had my fair share of painful trials and loss, and I can honestly say that even though I am not sure the purpose of each one, I know that in the end they drew me closer to my Heavenly Father.

Today as I took my ride along the coast for LIFE Runners I was praying over the purpose that God has called me to.  I can feel it growing in my heart and I am waiting for all of the pieces to fall together.  Waiting, the lesson of patience that God has been working on in me for years!

Right now they are burning the cane fields, and as I rode along looking at the charred remains of a recently burned field it really struck me.  That cane field had produced its crop, it couldn't produce the crop any further than it had, so they burned it leaving nothing but charred ground.  Out of the ashes would come a field of rich nutrients that would be prepared to have a new crop planted and then grow into a harvest of sugar cane.  Out of the ashes new life would spring.  As I came upon another field that had probably been burned the week earlier I noticed that already there was lush green growth springing to life from the now fertile ground.

Wow.....

Sometimes God tries us by fire so that we will be fertile for the planting of new seed, to grow spiritually.  Fire hurts, it's not fun, it destroys what it is set to destroy and makes way for a fresh new sowing of seed, a brand new harvest.  I think that it is amazing to me that sometimes we get as far as we can in what we are doing and our spiritual growth can stall out, but then through trial God is able to refine us, to remove the "impurities" and make us ready to receive "new seed" that he plants in our hearts for future harvest.

This is me right now.  I was comfortable in the ministries that I was part of in America, I was also getting a little too comfortable in my daily life.  Truthfully I had hit a barrier in my growth and I was a bit stuck.  Now God has asked me to trust him in faith and to step out into something scary and painful.  I feel a bit out of place, lost in the waiting, but God is refining me by fire right now.  He has shown me bits and pieces of the seeds he is sowing in my life and I can imagine the harvest, although its still too far off to see clearly.  Its exciting to me to know that out of the ashes new life will spring, that I will grow and be even more of what he wants me to be because of this leap of faith.  New life will come from the death of my flesh, little by little I pray that God breaks the hold this world has on me and replaces it with only His purpose!  I pray that these trials will strengthen my faith and help me to wait patiently on the Lord.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. (James 1:2-4 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment