Sunday, April 3, 2016

Overflow....



Sometimes God shows me that some areas of my life are falling into patterns, that my purpose may be missing in some of the things I am doing.  It's so easy to get disconnected, life gets busy, I get tired, and before I know it my focus has slipped.  I love how God gets my attention and points out an area that may have slipped by me, an area if gone unnoticed could cause a divide in my faith walk.

I noticed today that I was starting to do some things out of "obligation" as opposed to doing them out of the overflow of Gods love in my life.  There is a significant difference in doing something because you feel like you "must" instead of doing it because it comes naturally.  The way we serve as Christians has as much to do with what we do as it does with the attitude in which we serve.  When out of obligation we may begin to grumble or do things half hearted.  Although we are still doing good things we are not honoring God the way we should by our tone or attitude.  Also, the "why" of the things we do is equally important to "what" we do.  If I do something simply because I feel like I must then I won't have the same attitude of generosity as I would if I did it because I wanted to.  I want everything I do to be out of the deep desire to serve others because it has become my very nature.

I realized that my fear of failing people is sometimes a stumbling block, it can cause me to be over critical of myself and then my attitude of service gets clouded.  I need to try to always remember that God is the one I am serving, that He is the one who I am trying to honor.  My desire to serve must come from my desire to be in Gods presence.  Our salvation is not able to be bought, our redemption does not come from our service, a life lived well does not give us a pass to heaven.  Only Jesus can do that, and that is the overflow from which our lives should be lived.  His mercy, His grace should be written over everything we do.  When we love someone we do things for them out of the desire to make them happy, not to buy their love.  It is no different with our relationship with God.  He loves us truly, madly, deeply and as we grow to understand His love, our love for Him grows and our desires should be increasing to bring Him joy.  I want to make you smile Jesus!

Psalms 84:10
A single day in your courts is better than a thousand anywhere else!  I would rather be a gatekeeper in the house of my God than live the good life in the homes of the wicked.

Jesus lives in us and gives us the ability to serve with a right spirit.  He didn't just expect us to figure it out, God sent Jesus to show us the very nature of God here on earth.  Jesus literally walked the walk!  We would never have been able to fully understand the nature of God if He had not sent Jesus to model it!  Through Jesus the Word of God was manifested before our eyes and we were able to see how we are supposed to live, to love and to serve.  To truly serve and honor God we must at times reject our very nature.  Humanity thinks of itself first and others second, but Jesus thought of others first and Himself LAST!  Jesus literally died to save the one who pounded in the nails that held Him on the cross.  That is selfless love at its very purest form! To even try to live this way we must surrender our own desires and will to God and be willing to put Him ahead of everything!  This includes your your family, your actions, your goals, your desires, and yes-your sexual inclinations. When we belong to God we no longer get to live as we want, we are called to live not as the world lives, but to His standard. Our human nature is contrary to God and we have to choose who to serve, God or ourselves!

John 1:14
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.  We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Luke 9:23
Then he said to them all: "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me."

Many things can stand in the way of us fully and completely serving God.  Maybe its our attitude or pride, maybe its choosing our flesh over what we know God tells us is right, maybe its simply refusing to let go of things that take our focus off of God.  Not all stumbling blocks are outright sin, good things can cause us to stumble too when our priorities sit on what we want and not what God wants from us.  Daily "housecleaning" is the only way to make sure we are on the proper path, with the right attitude.  The only way to really do that gut check thoroughly is to get alone with God and give Him your attention.  He can change the grump to grace when we let Him.  Forced service becomes joyful when we let Him change our viewpoint.  God wants to pour Himself on us, and He will show you that His overflow can change an impatient heart into a long-suffering heart.  That He can make giving so much better than receiving!  I am thankful that He speaks to my heart and stands between the lies of the enemy that might cause me to feel burdened.

John 1:16
Out of his fullness we have all received grace in place of grace already give.

Our God is generous! To God be the Glory!




No comments:

Post a Comment