Saturday, April 16, 2016

Heavenly Hugs


This morning at church as we spent our time in praise and worship I prayed that God would help me to keep my eyes fixed on Him and not let my mind to wander.  In a study that I have been doing by Max Lucado called "A love Worth Giving" he had a great illustration about guarding our minds.  The idea was that we are a ship and we choose what we let on board, we can stop things at the dock and not let them taint our ship.  My mind wanders, a lot, so I have used this ship illustration every time a condemning, harmful, sinful, or wrong thought tries to enter my mind.  I pray that the Holy Spirit is the "gatekeeper" and that these thoughts are rejected before they even have a chance to come on board.  This morning I closed my eyes, envisioned the Trinity and myself coming aboard my ship and pushing back into the great wide ocean.  Then something very incredible happened, my worship changed.

This morning, with eyes closed and heart abandoned Jesus came close to me, He wrapped His arms around me and He hugged me in a way that makes you forget the whole world.  For those moments I was embraced by Him, my head rested on His chest, His cheek pressed against my forehead, His arms wrapped around my waist holding me tight.  You know those hugs that make everything better, that make all fear, doubt, and sorrow just disappear?  Well that is how Jesus hugged me today.  Instead of my mind wandering my focus was on how intimately close He was to me.  The embrace of a loving Father, the comfort of a precious friend, the love that can not be shaken.  I don't know if I sang the words to the songs, but I do know that Jesus rocked me in His arms and that for a moment He spoke to me of all of the rejection I have felt over my life.  In my heart He showed me that His love for me is so amazingly deep and complete, that He just wants to hold me and love on me.  That He doesn't reject me and that nothing can take His great love from me.  In his arms I cannot be snatched away, He claims me, I am His.

John 10:29
My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand.

Sometimes I hear people speak of an unloving, distant god who sits in heaven with his back turned on humanity, or a god that simply cant be reached but should be feared.  These gods are not real because God is intimately involved in our life and He wants to be as close to us as possible.  He doesn't sit in Heaven looking down on us in disappointment and judgment.  He reaches for us, He chases after us, and Jesus loved us so much that he left the comforts of Heaven to walk this earth with us, to die on the cross for us and be raised from the dead paying the final debt for our sins.  Jesus embraces us, He loves us and forgives us because He can't imagine life without us.  I have heard people say "but why would you want to serve a god who you are commanded to fear?"  Well the truth is that this commandment to fear is not fear at all, it is respect and reverence.  God deserves and commands our respect, but fear is for those who do not yet know Him.  God does not give us a spirit of fear. Draw near to Him and be filled with His love!

2 Timothy 1:7
For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.

If you are feeling far from God, if you are feeling rejected in this hard world maybe its time to close your eyes and ask Jesus to come near.  He wants to, He really does.  Ask Him to hold you, to comfort you, and then let yourself be held.  Let go and let God shower you in His embrace.  You wont regret it, when Gods love overflows on us, it changes everything!  We can all use a fresh anointing, and the Holy Spirit is waiting for you to ask.....

John 14:14
You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment