Tuesday, February 23, 2016

The Eye of the Storm


As I sit here staring at the computer screen I just don't know where to begin.  For the past few days I have been reflecting on what we just went through and I knew that writing about it was going to be a challenge, mostly because its impossible to put into words the experience we just had.  I have to try though, I need to write down the emotions of the day, the experience so that I never forget what it feels like right now, to be grateful for everything and to have your emotions so raw that nothing holds back the intermittent tears for those who faced so much worse....





On February 20, 2016 a tropical Cyclone named Winston came to Fiji.  This powerful storm was a Category 5 cyclone and has been rated as the 2nd strongest cyclone to ever make landfall (based on wind speed).  Winston took 2 shots at us prior to February 20th but both times it missed us, so I think by the 3rd time it was hard to take the storm too seriously, sadly that would probably be the downfall for some.  Winston came at us the 3rd time and things got really scary really fast.  The cyclone hit Nadi area around 8pm, at least that's when we really started to feel it, that was also when the power went out.  This storm coupled with the darkness of night made it all the more terrifying.  We had stocked up on supplies, we had prepared, but nothing can prepare you for your first cyclone.  With no power and the winds raging outside we put Ella Mae to sleep in our bedroom so we could all stay close.  The storm shutters were up on most windows but our bedroom window opposite our bed has bars for protection so I could see outside.  Our giant trees were bending like twigs whipping back and forth violently.  It was terrifying that at any moment one could crash into the roof exposing us all.  I laid in bed wide awake, my heart pounding in my chest as the freight train roared by.  The storm was so unbelievable loud, and it is indescribable.  For the first time in my life I knew that there was no way to protect my family, that I had to have faith.  We live on the second floor of a sturdy brick house and that is such a blessing, but with winds nearing 200mph the roof could be ripped off at any time.  I prayed through the night, and God comforted me.

We have a covered porch that wraps around two sides of our house and an enclosed stairwell that is somewhat protected from the elements.  We love our fur family, and I was already struggling with knowing my horse was braving the elements on the side of a hill and now we had Treasure to deal with.  Treasure is an outdoor dog, she lives outside and only comes in for short periods when we are watching her every move.  She is still a puppy so she loves to destroy things like shoes and toys.  With the storm on our doorstep Ryan felt that she would be well protected in the stairwell, I completely disagreed.  We tried bringing her inside and locking her in the bathroom area but she barked constantly and was way to worked up.  My heart was heavy taking her back outside, so I went out with her.  In hindsight this was stupid, I could have been hurt by flying debris, but I felt horrible for keeping her outside.  The winds were like nothing I could even explain, they were so strong they made walking nearly impossible.  Finally Ryan came out and sat with her so I could take a break.  He came in after sitting with her for about a half an hour.  Ryan is good at latching onto peace, he doesn't panic, and so he went to bed.  He did admit the next day that the whole thing was very scary.  I, on the other hand, was not going to be sleeping, I just couldn't!  My dog was outside, my horse was outside, and this storm was a danger to everyone in its path!  I worried for my friends, for strangers, for those who had no safe place to be.

About two hours into the storm I made my rounds through the dark house to find flood waters flowing in from the ceiling in our dining room and living room and spraying in through the door and windows.  The wind was so strong it was driving rain in through every nook and cranny by sheer force!  I woke Ryan and we laid down towels in front of the door and tried to contain the waters.  We moved all of the furniture out of the way from the flow of water coming in through our ceiling.  Now I was worried that we really might lose our roof in these tremendous winds!  My heart was racing again as I began looking out the windows trying to figure out what part of the deck Treasure was on.  I found her by our kitchen where she was less protected but still safe.  My heart was breaking, I felt terrible for her but I didn't know what to do.  I lay back down in bed lifting more prayers up to God as I watched the trees continue to bend to the will of the wind.  There wind was deafening!  I read my bible and kept checking for cell service so I could send an update to worried friends and family but the cell service had been down since the power went out and I was unable to reach out to them.

Every half hour I would get up and make my rounds through the house checking the leaks and making sure that everything was secure.  Finally I couldn't take anymore.  I was way to worried about Treasure and I opened the door that nearly tore from my hands and screamed for my dog over the roar she came tearing up from the stairwell, wet but happy to see me!  I settled her in barricaded between the wall and the bed next to Ryan and my wet pup laid down and went to sleep.  The storm was screaming now, but I had at least the part of my family in doors that I could have so I tried to sleep.  The storm raged on us for about 8 hours, the emotions that I feel just thinking about it bring a lump to my throat.  I'm so happy that my sweet baby girl was oblivious to the danger.  I'm so thankful that God gave me enough peace to do what I needed to do.  I'm thankful for a husband who is the calm to my freak out.  I'm so thankful that God kept us safe.

The next day we finally got cell service and were able to reach out to those we loved and let them know we were OK.  We eventually got through to local friends either on the phone or through FaceBook, and it was a relief as they one by one checked in safe and sound.  I was delighted to hear that not only did the staff of Aviva Farms make it through OK, but so did my beloved horse!  I have not been able to get out to him yet, but I know he is in good hands.  Although the threat of floods remained the storm had passed and people could begin to piece together their lives.  That was the most terrifying night of my life, I pray I never experience anything like that again.  I am so thankful for everything!





We were without power for a few days but the kindness of our neighbors solved that problem.  They had a generator and they sent up a power line so we could at least have some light and a way to charge devices.  What a blessing!  As Nadi limped back to life you saw the hope and the smiles in all of the faces, thankful for what they had, thankful for their lives.  Everyone was extra generous with their "bula" greetings and you could feel the community coming together.  Ryan began to clean up the mess of a yard we have, and life began to move on.  Stores opened on generator power and eventually the power was restored to our neighborhood.  I was telling Ryan that a branch had broken and was obstructing the ability to use our clothes line, and our awesome neighbors heard us.  Without a word they climbed the tree and began to chop down the trouble branches with a machete.  The sense of community filled me with pride!  These beautiful Fijian people were glad to help a foreigner in their country without even being asked.  Our neighbors showed us what Fiji is made of, friendship and generosity!

It was so scary, I just can't say that enough, and yet I felt humbled as the village stories began to roll in.  The death toll that is now over 29 was as heartbreaking as the stories that went with.  A father who attempted to carry his 10 month old baby boy across flood waters while his wife was washed away who then lost the baby.  Now they must face life without their precious child.  The family who lost their son trapped by a fallen tree who bravely told them to leave him and find safety.  The women of a village who ran from one shelter to the next only to have roof after roof ripped off and in the end using their bodies to shield new born babies from the elements, fighting for their lives.  The stories keep coming in, each one more devastating then the last.  I know how scary this was for me and I was in a sturdy strong shelter.  I almost feel I have lost the right to say it was scary, I don't know what scary is, I don't know what it was like for these brave people exposed to the raging storm.  I thank God that he protected us and my heart breaks for those who lost everything!  There are two houses just up the road from us that both lost their roofs.  Every time I drive by I get choked up thinking about how scary their story must be, what trauma they have been through.  I wish I could fix it for everyone.  I think the most beautiful thing I heard in it all was the couple who lost their baby said they drew comfort from knowing that he was in a better place, they found solace knowing their baby was with God.

In a deep desire to do something, to help somehow I felt led to hold a virtual 5K race and rally for all who took part to make donations to help the people of Fiji rebuild.  I am so thankful for LIFE Runners who has allowed the race funds to be gathered through them and sent to the Fiji government account.  I am thankful for faithful teammates who are answering the call and needs of those who are recovering from this disaster!  I am most thankful to God who will continue to comfort those who mourn and provide for those who have need.  It is beautiful to see the world spring into action to help the beautiful people of Fiji!

If you are a runner and want to take part in our virtual "Cat 5K" please visit our FaceBook page for event details.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1109789175722442/




No comments:

Post a Comment