Sunday, February 14, 2016

Chasing the Darkness


"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.  Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." ~Martin Luther King Jr.

It's so easy to get overwhelmed.  It's so easy to get weary and tired.  It's even easier to give up, and that is exactly what the enemy wants us to do, to give up.  I'll admit that I am tired this week.  I admit that my body feels worn down and that my heart, at times, can be close behind.  But I want to say that God doesn't leave us there for long.  He is so quick to renew, refresh, and revitalize those who seek after Him!

I was supposed to run my 20 miler this morning, but yesterday at church I felt God calling me to a 24 hour fast and prayer time, to hold off on the 20 miler until tomorrow.  God knew my body needed an extra day of rest and recovery, and He knew I wouldn't break from my schedule on my own.  This was exactly what I needed!  I started my day off in the word and then Ryan and I took some alone time for a coffee date.  I think in the fasting state where we are more open to God, less resistant, He really brings us to a place we need to be.  At coffee I talked to Ryan about old childhood/young adult wounds that I have never spoken to another person about in my life!  Yes I talk to God about these hurts, but never have I shared this painful corner of my heart with anyone else.  It was a powerful release, to say it out loud.  After coffee I almost felt released from my fast, as if God only wanted me vulnerable enough to let go of that piece of brokeness in my life so I could see how deeply it had wounded me and then allow Him to heal it.  Although I will honor my fast until 6pm, I see clearly how God works so amazingly in those who are fully surrendered, and how fasting opens us up by using the "weakness" to open our eyes to what He wants us to see.

I had to drive to the grocery store after Ryan left for work (which I don't advise during a fast because everything looked so yummy).  As I was driving I witnessed the coolest thing.  The weather is crazy right now with the cyclone passing by and as I drove down the road I literally chased the shadow of a cloud.  My car was surrounded by the suns light and it appeared as though I was driving the shadow away.  This happened for about 3/4 of a mile and as I pulled out onto the main roadway I got goosebumps as God spoke to my heart.  He showed me that the darkness must literally flee from me because I have the light of Jesus in me!  It's a command!  It's not a suggestion!  The darkness MUST flee from the light of Jesus and His light dwells in me!

Ephesians 5:8
for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light.

John 8:12
Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, " I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.

John 1:5
The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it.

Sometimes I struggle to feel like a new creation.  Sometimes I feel unworthy to the calling that God has put on my life.  It makes it hard to be bold when you don't feel worthy and so I am very aware that these feelings are the lie of the enemy.  I am so thankful for a loving God who doesn't just stand by and watch us struggle, but sometimes
when we need it He gives us real, physical illustrations of His promises.  Right now God is doing huge things in the ministry He has called me to and of course the enemy hates that so he tries to discourage!  I feel renewed and ready to face the next challenge!  I may have to run in the rain tomorrow, I may not have ideal circumstances surrounding my 20 miles, but I know that God will protect, guide and carry me every single step!  I am a light bringer, my job is to expose the lies of abortion, the lies of the devil, the lies that we have believed for too long.  I am the light because the Holy Spirit dwells in me and if God is for me no one can stand against me!

2 Corinthians 5:17
This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person.  The old life is gone; a new life has begun!


No comments:

Post a Comment