Friday, September 19, 2014

Did You Say Spider....

Once upon a time 2 women who didn't even know each other started an incredible journey together.  These American women found themselves living in India and discovered a friendship that would be filled with crazy memories.  Tonight I am reminded of something that really set the tone for our lives of travel and adventure.

It was a typical evening in Dream Valley (Hyderabad India) filled with scheduled power outages and  husbands who flew crazy schedules.  We were spending time together and the subject came up of a rat that had decided one of the bathrooms was its home.  Just then we heard the tell tale sounds of said rat nosing around.  The rats in India are only rat by breed, they are in fact the size of cats and totally terrifying.  Armed with brooms we entered the bathroom to find the carnage left by the rat who made hasty retreat into the floor drain, which we bravely covered with a bucket and something heavy to hold it there.  The next day the landlord fixed the drains and that ended our first 3rd world critter saga.  Although many more critter incidents occurred in India none stick with me like that one, where two women braved the unknown to chase out a rat.

Tonight, nearly 6 years later, we find ourselves again living in a 3rd world Country.  Fiji is infinitely better than India in my opinion, but tonight it gave me a run for my money.  What a blessing it was to able to call my dear friend over to help me.  Honestly, 6 years ago I had no idea that I was having my first crazy adventure with a lifetime friend.  That first adventure was followed by pregnancies and birth and raising babies in India.  What a blessing she has been to me and I am so happy that our families get to share in this chapter together.  Back to the critter adventure...

So I decided it was time to spray the perimeter of the house with ant spray since the ants have been becoming problematic.  I went to the store, purchased the poison, closed the windows and sprayed the entire perimeter. Nailed it!

Not much later I was reminded why I prefer not to do this as the trapped and dying monster bugs began to emerge.  First one giant cockroach followed by another and another.  I sucked it up, and I killed them.  I'll admit I was screaming inside the whole time, but it had to be done and Ryan was not home.  Already feeling like I probably wouldn't sleep tonight knowing that the crazy dying bugs were running rampant but nothing prepared me for what came next.  I had just given Ella Mae a shower and had taken one after her and was exiting the shower when a huge huntsman spider rounded the corner.  I took one look at this huge scary spider in my house and decided NO WAY, I was not going to be able to handle this.  I called Becca and said "I can't do this."  Her response without asking any details was "I'll be right down."  That is the sign of a true friend.  She had no idea what I couldn't do but she was going to come and help me do whatever it was.  What followed next is probably going to be one of my favorite memories.

Becca was here, we were both armed with brooms ready for the spider stand off.  I was in a towel, too scared to change and possibly loose the spiders position.  Becca whacked it and it ran into the bathroom, we both began to scream and we whacked it again but then it was gone, where did it go.  I was certain I was going to have to move because I would never again be able to use the bathroom or any part of my house knowing this giant spider was hiding somewhere.  I suggest you look up the Huntsman Spider, they are ambush spiders and they jump (totally harmless of course but scary none the less).  That is my worst nightmare!

With some more screaming we found him in the trash can so somehow I mustered courage, tied off the bag and threw it in the trash.  He is still alive and can live anywhere but in my home!

I am so thankful for amazing friends that God handpicked for me.  Becca is certainly one of those people, she has been a blessing to my life and I cannot imagine these last 6 years without her in it!  Thank you Becca, now can we please stop with these crazy critter memories.....

No comments:

Post a Comment